Chip-Chop!

>> Thursday 10 June 2010

Wow, wow, wow!! Amazing discovery...

You can make chips from polenta! Very exciting....(for me anyway...)


I've had very mixed results with polenta so far and always seem to default to using it as an alternative to mashed potato. However, you have to add an awful lot of ingredients to it to make it taste of anything and it takes on a cold and gloopy texture very quickly. I had yet to find my 'wow' moment.

There are lots of lovely looking cakes with polenta which I keep meaning to try, but for now it's all about the humble chip! These were enough to make my partner go 'wow' and I never would have expected that from polenta, so they pass the boy test. The are oven cooked rather than fried but only just pass the health test given the amount of parmesan and butter in them! Still, a little treat never did anyone any harm!!


Polenta Chips
Serves 4

375g polenta
150g grated fresh parmesan
salt & pepper
90g butter
olive oil
  • Boil 1.5ltrs of water in large saucepan
  • Reduce heat and gradually pour in polenta, stirring continuously
  • After 5 minutes of stirring on a low heat, your polenta should be thick.
  • Remove from heat and add cheese, seasoning and butter. Stir thoroughly to combine
  • Pour into a shallow square tin (or a round sandwhich tin and be prepared to cut off the edges)
  • Leave to cool for 30 minutes
  • Preheat the oven to 200c/GM 6 and lightly oil 2 baking trays
  • Slice your cooled polenta into chip like pieces and lay on the baking trays
  • Oven bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown
  • Remove and eat!
I know I write this all the time, but these are really worth trying!

Hope you like!
Helen x

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP