'Tis the season to .... BBQ!

>> Monday 31 May 2010

The British Bank Holiday mandates a barbeque.

Everywhere in the country, we are taken over by the urge to group together, gather round a fire and eat meat! It's almost primeval! I am no exception to the rule, and this bank holiday weekend I have enjoyed my barbeque in the delights of The Cotswolds....(thank you Mr and Mrs T)


Street after idyllic street of beautiful houses and rolling fields. Gorgeous!! We were graced with one sunny day and the barbeque duly emerged from it's hiding place.


I think there is a bit too much focus on the meat element of the barbeque and I'm on a mission to widen it's use to salads and puddings too! I've written two of the recipes we used below, both meat-free and barbeque utilising! If the summer allows it, I'll add more over the coming months....

Courgette, Asparagus and Pine Nut Salad
Serves 4


2 large courgettes
1 bunch of asparagus
50g pine nuts (lightly toasted in a frying pan - optional)
1 lemon
olive oil
  • Diagonally slice the courgette and remove the woody ends of the asparagus
  • Drizzle over olive oil and season the courgette slices and asparagus spears
  • Place on BBQ for 5-8 minutes (turn half-way through)
  • Pile up on a serving dish, drizzle with oil, juice of half a lemon and scatter with pine nuts

Strawberry and Marshmallow Kebabs
Serves 4


1 punnet of strawberries
1 bag marshmallows
4 wooden skewers
  • Add strawberries and marshmallows to skewers
  • BBQ for 5 minutes (turn once)
  • Serve immediately!

The finished result.....


...the picture doesn't show however, that we were cold in about two minutes and migrated rapidly inside. Some things will never change!

Quick update on my audition for ITV's Britain's Best Dish.......audition was on Saturday and I think went well. I've made some amends to my dish and will find out if I've made it through to the Regional Heats (televised...argggh!) next week. Fingers crossed!

Helen x

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP